Severe Weather Event – Update 16 February 2023
General New Zealand network updates:
- Cook Strait ferry services have resumed, however delays can still be expected as vehicle backlogs are cleared following cancellations earlier this week.
- KiwiRail have confirmed that the North Island Main Trunk Line (Auckland to Wellington) and the Main North Line (Christchurch to Picton) are now both fully open.
We have received the following update from our Transport partner(s)
- Northland – Conditions have begun to improve. With access to Whangarei and Kaitaia open, branches can now receive freight. However, deliveries to many parts of the wider Northland region will be delayed due to continuing road closures.
- Coromandel Peninsula – Access to the Coromandel Peninsula north of Thames and Whangamata is still very limited; however, deliveries are being made in Thames, Kopu, Paeroa, and Waihi.
- Gisborne Tairawhiti – This region is still impacted by power and communication outages. Accessing Gisborne via SH2 from the south is closed and will be closed for some time. Access from the north via Opotiki was briefly opened last night with limited traffic permitted. Should conditions allow, scheduled convoys between Gisborne and Opotiki will be implemented daily.
- Hawke’s Bay – The Hastings branch is fully operational. The Napier-Taupo Road is still closed, but routes via the south are open. The Napier facility is currently without power, so is currently closed. Upon restoration, the team will resume operations. Road access is now available between Hastings and Napier.
- With a severe thunderstorm watch in place for Bay of Plenty, Rotorua, Taupo, Gisborne and Hawke’s Bay, recovery and access in these areas could be further affected.
We have received the following update from our Courier partner(s):
- Whangarei – Branch is open and delivery services have recommenced. However, not all regions in Northland are able to be accessed currently.
- Thames – Branch is open and delivery services have recommenced. However, not all regions in Coromandel are able to be accessed currently.
- Napier – Still currently without power. No services available today.
- Hastings – Still currently without power. No services available today.
- Gisborne and Wairoa – still currently inaccessible. No services available today.
We will provide further updates as they become available.